14 replies to this topic

#1 VirtualForce

VirtualForce

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7235 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:37 AM

To date, I have had very little trouble with my trusty Corsa Lite. Has taken me quite a few miles with a smile.

But a while back, the coil pack, packed up (pun intended) and I was left with the choice of either paying R3100 for a genuine GM Opel part or R700 for a (Beru) pirate part. Since R3100 is a lot of money, I bought the pirate part (yes, I know all about the quality of pirate parts) and all was smooth for about 2 weeks until the trouble started again. My car had power in only three cylinders, not spark went the the 1st. I tested the cable leading from the coil pack the 1st plug on another spark plug and it is in working order.
Also, it isn't the spark plug as no spark is created when the cable is removed while the car is running.

Luckily my father in law knew the guys at GM Edenvale and I obtained a genuine (although 2nd hand) coil pack for R500. I installed it and all worked well....for also about 2 weeks. Times are not precise, but close.

Again now spark was sent to the 1st cylinder.

Now I am left wondering, I know I am unlucky but 1 parts where nr 1 fails on both? Is there perhaps some other problem that kills the coil pack?

I know I should prolly take the car to an auto electrition but before I spend the money, I was wondering if you guys might know something that I (who knows nothing about cars) wouldn't know. Or am I just that unlucky to have bought two broken packs?? Is it perhaps something inherent in the coil pack design that if it fails, the 1st plug fails?

Coil Pack (yeah, yeah, I should clean my engine more often...)
http://www.pcbg.co.z...achmentid=13072

Edited by VirtualForce, 11 August 2010 - 08:41 AM.

#2 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

In case you signed onto the wrong forum, this is PCBG. Not cartechies.com!

:D

Jokes aside, this is the beauty of OEM parts. They normally carry at least a 12 month warranty. So while R3100 is a hard pill to swallow, you will at least have peace of mind. In the event that something else is causing the problem, who better to check than Delta?

#3 VirtualForce

VirtualForce

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7235 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

In case you signed onto the wrong forum, this is PCBG. Not cartechies.com!

OH CRAP!!! :D I thought the site looked rather familiar! :P

Jokes aside, this is the beauty of OEM parts. They normally carry at least a 12 month warranty. So while R3100 is a hard pill to swallow, you will at least have peace of mind. In the event that something else is causing the problem, who better to check than Delta?

Yeah, I know, even though I know its the best option, its costs money, they charge R475 per hour for labour alone. I'm trying to avoid that cost but its like trying to miss a speeding train in a tightly fitting tunnel, its gonna hit no matter what. I guess I willl have to make that appointment. :rotfl:

#4 Torretto

Torretto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

VirtualForce, I'll build up a PM for you once I have time (might only be tonight) with stuff for you to do.

My entire engine is basically pirate parts now lol. Bought from Alert! Engine Spares and Goldwagen, and
the quality of those parts are actually so much better than GM put in (and cost much less).
The pistons are 'rebranded' Marley pistons which are much stronger than the AE crap GM put in.

I would never say that pirate parts aren't the way to go.

#5 VirtualForce

VirtualForce

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7235 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Thank you Diss.

The guy at GM said he had two Coil Packs, one which was faulty and needed to be returned. So they have swapped out the faulty part. Will replace it this afternoon with the new part.

Edited by VirtualForce, 11 August 2010 - 10:42 AM.

#6 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

It's not that pirate parts "aren't the way to go" but GM does not give you a warranty. That is the only difference. Back when I had a VW Caddy, I also used pirate parts aplenty. I remember Goldwagen well! :D

VF, since most cars use Bosch electronics, why not take your car to a Bosch Auto and ask them for a quote?

http://www.bosch.co....1/html/2537.htm

Posted Image

#7 VirtualForce

VirtualForce

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7235 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

Ta Razer, there is one on my way to work, might give them a visit.

I have gotten the swapped out coil pack and my car is once again going strong. (for a 1.4i that is... :D)

The guy apologized, he said he had two coil packs, one of which was faulty, he think he gave me the broken, dewd felt really bad about it. So hoppefully thats it!

PS. Diss, please send me what you wanted to send me, even if the car issue is resolved, I would still like to learn more. Thanks!

#8 VirtualForce

VirtualForce

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7235 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

I dont believe it! I CANT !!!!!!!!! BELIEVE IT! The coil pack died again! WTF!!!!

This just freaking sucks, on top of that, I just paid R1800 for the carburettor in my wifes car!

F!CK this crap! Whats next?

I had this very vivid dream of a large meteors striking earth, I could see the damage to buildings and it was a long barrage as well, not the hollywood 2 minute one...

So, if I were you okes, I'd start building shelters 10km underground...

EDIT: I've spoken to my father in law who in turn spoke to the technical guys are GM Edenvale, he knows them, and they think since its the very same port on the coil pack (nr 1) that dies each time, it might the plug wire that fires back into the coil pack and so damages it.

So, might have to replace the wires and buy a new coil pack.

Anyway, have booked my car for a diagnostics test.

Edited by VirtualForce, 17 September 2010 - 08:26 AM.

#9 Steel

Steel

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3497 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

What's your adverage L/km, tire cost, service? Would love to know Virtual Force as I am thinking about getting a Corsa Lite :angry-mad:

#10 Grami

Grami

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

virtualforce.

just think of a car like a hooker.

you take it for a good hard ride and they need a service in the end you have to pay, the question you have to ask is do you want to pay for a hot sexy, time of you life hooker or a used up got corn stuck in the teeth hooker.

I had my engine blow up while driving back from Durban and to get a new engine (only the block) was R10000 EX
and I had no idea how the car blow up so I took it to a trusted mechanic to work on it and see what happened.

he gave me a quote to reckon the engine and one to replace the engine.
I want with reckon not because it cost more but because we went over that motor to find out what the really happened.
to my surprise it was the oil pump from not replacing the oil at each service(bloody bastards) so now I do my on oil service and the
rest is done with my trusted mechanic and not barlow world.

a lesson in life:
aways try to find the problem and never just replace it.

#11 VirtualForce

VirtualForce

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7235 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

What's your adverage L/km, tire cost, service? Would love to know Virtual Force as I am thinking about getting a Corsa Lite :angry-mad:

dewd, I know I should be like that, check my l/km ratio but I dont. I get around 700-800km per tank when I used to drive a lot of hghway.

virtualforce.

just think of a car like a hooker.

Well, alteast my car is already lubed up and ready to go.

I know dewd, I know. But, my thinking was that pirate part was crap (yeah yeah, I read what diss said), the 2nd pack was defective and I thought the troubles were over with the 3rd replacement as GM did some tests on it.

I'm tired.

#12 Lionel

Lionel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

I am experiencing a similar problem with my 2007 Corsa lite 1400. Cutting when ever it feels like it. Have replaced plugs and fitted new bougicord plug wires. Now the problem seems worse. Consensus seems to be a new coil pack. Quote from Williams Hunt Port Elizabeth is R3537 for a new pack. This a disgrace as it seems like a factory or production fault on these vehicle. After the service experience up to now from Williams Hunt (car has doen 95000km), I definitly will need to be terrorized by a man with a gun before cosidering purchasing a GM product again.
The worrying thing is to determine what is the cause the coil pack failing. Although there is a one year guarentee on the coil pack, one wants to be sure that it will not happen again. So those bright spark GM mechanics out there, lets see you pass the test...

Regards

Lionel

#13 VirtualForce

VirtualForce

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7235 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

I know its extra money but have you considered trying a "pirate part" from places like GoldWagen? They cost around the R600 mark.

But yeah, its a weird problem, but luckily I have had no more problems since replacing the all 4 bougicords.

Good luck, hope you get sorted quick as its a hassle and a dangerous inconvenience if you break down late at night on some highway...

#14 Torretto

Torretto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

I am experiencing a similar problem with my 2007 Corsa lite 1400. Cutting when ever it feels like it. Have replaced plugs and fitted new bougicord plug wires. Now the problem seems worse. Consensus seems to be a new coil pack. Quote from Williams Hunt Port Elizabeth is R3537 for a new pack. This a disgrace as it seems like a factory or production fault on these vehicle. After the service experience up to now from Williams Hunt (car has doen 95000km), I definitly will need to be terrorized by a man with a gun before cosidering purchasing a GM product again.
The worrying thing is to determine what is the cause the coil pack failing. Although there is a one year guarentee on the coil pack, one wants to be sure that it will not happen again. So those bright spark GM mechanics out there, lets see you pass the test...

Regards

Lionel

Ouch bud, that's really bad luck. Like VirtualForce said, consider GoldWagen.
A lot of their parts for the internals of an engine are excellent quality (if you spend a few minutes extra doing inspection).
We rebuilt my engine (C16SE) almost a year ago, and a lot of parts came from GoldWagen. So far, no problems.

#15 Replica

Replica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

In trying to find a solution to my problem, I came across this thread. Maybe someone can help. My Corsa recently started badly missing on no 3 cylinder. Got new plugs and Ht leads. Compression is Ok so no burnt valves. I assumed that the there was a problem with respect to no Ht voltage to the plug, so took a plug and connected the No 3 Ht lead to it and ran the engine - got what I assumed to be a reasonable spark at the electrodes. My assumption is therefore that the coilpack was ok and that I had a dirty injector.

Is my assumption correct. I must admit that when I take no 3 plug out it seems wet as if the fuel is not igniting, also get the odd backfire which again indicates poor ignition in the cylinder. Plug is also sooty compared to the others.

Don't want to take it to a garage and get ripped off, so want to make sure that I am relatively sure what the problem is.

I come from the old school were cars had engines with good old distributors with points and carburetors. Therefore feel I am a bit out of my depth.

Could my problem be the coil pack and not a dirty injector?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Update
Problem solved - defective coilpack. Used pirate part. Told it was only guarenteed if new HT wires were fitted at same time. This was my intention so no problemPosted Image

Edited by Replica, 27 August 2011 - 05:37 PM.