Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

Okay....

Tri-ANYTHING means water-cooling, I'm afriad... The heat generate inside the chassis is not going to be expoused efficently & effectively with air cooling. Not to mention the strain on the inteal components [chipsets & VRM's spesifically]
Trust me, I've been down the road with GFX cards having shattered fans, insane temps [GFX & MoBo], NOISE, etc. etc. Might be too late, but check some of my old posts out; at least you won't feel alone.

On the MoBo side of things, you have to pick a MoBo that would not have any interfece [heatsinks, molex sockets, etc.] for 3 cards.. sounds obvious, but just looking at stats saying the MoBo supports 3 PCI-e x16 slots won't do... Hence my suggestion on the the MSI Big Bang-XPower II. Again, even it all 3 Dual-Slot GFX cards fit, you need to go the water-cooling route as I qualified above.

#102 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

This was never really planned nor is it feasible for the gains. Wanted to play a bit and check it out. I will prolly just go back to SLi and leave it at that. It's already such a mega luxury.

Not worried about water cooling because otherwise I would have bought cheap ass cards and not Twin Frozr's. No. Graphics will remain on air.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

#103 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Proof that it happened even though I cannot use it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

With the third card in I have to pull out the USB2 header and all front panel connectors. And since the manual power buttons are also in that area, I cannot access them. So my 3-way SLI dream is down the tubes as I cannot turn on my PC. :curl-lip:

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk

#104 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

This was never really planned nor is it feasible for the gains. Wanted to play a bit and check it out. I will prolly just go back to SLi and leave it at that. It's already such a mega luxury.

Not worried about water cooling because otherwise I would have bought cheap ass cards and not Twin Frozr's. No. Graphics will remain on air.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

How did I miss this post.....
Care to explain the logic of water-cooling = cheap-ass?

I am super keen to hear this logic :curl-lip:

#105 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

No no no. I am saying that had I planned water cooling, I would have gotten cheap reference cards, not ones with fancy air coolers.

:curl-lip:

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

#106 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

:curl-lip:

On a seriously note:
Pity that nVida does not support cross-card SLi [GTX590 + GTX580]... Cos that would be AwEsOmE!!!! [Lucid Hydra perhaps?]

Although, my kid bro has been running a pair of GTX580's in SLi for awhile now... and I never had the need to move him to a pair of GTX590's tho, so I think you'll be safe with your pair [unless you've taking a liking to Metro2033 :sinister:]

.... Well, until Kelper GK112 arrives :(

#107 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

Yeah without a doubt it is more than good enough for now until the 6-series cards come out.

#108 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

This weekend I have been feeling somewhat depressed that my machine is having so much downtime. :( Pretty much summed up in a discussion I had with SLicK, by being an early adopter you're always going to have downtime. Not something to complain about in my case but nevertheless annoying.

I'm back down to 2-way SLi and of course I've dropped in a new PSU. Cool beans. Frontosa would not credit my Force GT drive and insisted it was working fine, contrary to the evidence I provided. :curl-lip: In a kind gesture the original owner took the drive back and I acquired a 256GB Plextor M3S SSD powered by a Marvel controller. Yay, no more Sandforce for me thank you very much.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am still not up and running, however, since I changed my RAM and bought a Sandy kit...oops. So now I'm waiting for a set of G.Skill 2133MHz CL9 XMP 1.3 32GB before I am up and running again.....

In the meantime, I'm passing time by playing Sprinkle, World of Goo and CoD World at War on a notebook. :sinister:

Edited by Razer, 10 March 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#109 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

Post the link to the G.Skill kit you're getting... I'm on the lookout for a 2000MHz+, 4x8GB, x79 compatible kit...

#110 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

http://www.gskill.co...s.php?index=439

I gave up on looking for a 4*8 config. Not many XMP1.3 choices out there yet...and speeds max out at 2133MHz.

#111 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

My performancepcs.com order arrived.

Posted Image

Let's see what's inside....

Posted Image

#112 Steel

Steel

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3497 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

?? fans & ...

#113 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

BitFenix 200mm replacement front fan...current one has a whine to it.
Couple of legendary Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fans...for my dual rad to get a bit better performance at lower sound levels.
Couple of 2.5" to 5.25" drive converters...absolutely rare and strangely not that in demand?? Need to move my SSD to the top of my case.
BitFenix LED light strip...uber cool, no CCFL tube to worry about and no bulky ACDC converter.

#114 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

Please post before and after temps of the new fans, at controlled temps or the delta's

#115 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Eish, fitting of new parts is not going so well.

Due to the stupid custom tool-less 5.25" drive bays, I cannot secure the 2.5" to 5.25" converter for my SSD. Pretty damn infuriating. First my H100 cannot take a push pull fan setup as there is not enough space and now this.

But wait, there's more. :confused:

The new 200mm BitFenix fan does not fit either. It can only ever be fitted as an exhaust fan, not an intake fan due to the mounting holes. This was not indicated in the product description so I would love to stick this large fan up someone's ass over at BitFenix.

The 2 new Gentle Typhoon fans are also not my ideal either. They have 3-pin PWM connectors....and 2 bloody molex connectors, making them very awkward to install.

Never before have I had such a fail order. :banghead:

#116 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

Yeah... that sucks bud...

But remember how many brand new/ day old chassis I sold before...?
So now I Sketch-Up to design the upgrade FIRST!!!

#117 RockSpider

RockSpider

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 8167 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Razer : The new 200mm BitFenix fan does not fit either. It can only ever be fitted as an exhaust fan, not an intake fan due to the mounting holes.

You could fit it as an intake fan ... but then you'd have to mount it on the outside of your case. :(

Jokes aside, it really does suck, bud. I hate it when new purchases turn into total disappointments. It seems like you will have to consider other brands of 200mm fans. Also, you might want to shop around for a 5.25" -> 2.5" converter that is shaped like a 5.25" device (with your SSD sitting snuggly inside it). I recall seeing something like that before.

#118 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Okay... just throwing out some ideas here [keep in mind, I'm on meds :P]:

For the BitFenix 200mm fan, get a set of these 20mm Nylon or Brass spacers

For the SSD 5.25" mounting kit, as Rockspider said, shop around... Alternatively, get the hole spacing of an optic-drive that fits in perfectly [trace or CAD it & print it] then make the holes on the Lian Li HD-520 [I can loan you my dremel if you want]...

For the Gentle Typhoon fans & their male + female 4-pin molex connectors... Erhmmm... remove them [?]

For the push+pull fans on the H1000, the Obsidian 650D has a small cavity on the rear top-left corner, right? So why not just mount a set of fans on the top of the 650D, and run the wires into the chassis thru that cavity? Sleeve them as one cord, if need be/it bothers you...

But honestly... I would rather just get a full tower chassis, instead of making a stock/unmodded mid-tower work as one... With your notebook, you don't need to take your PC to LAN's anymore... What happened to that CM Stacker 830 of yours? Alternatively, you could get the 800D, but I opt for the Silverstone Raven or one of the CM COSMOS series... my 2cents

#119 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Thanks guys, will have to persevere to make this stuff work. 200mm Fans are rare and there are not a lot around in the WORLD market. Might have to try the spacer thing...

Regards the converter for my SSD, might have to drill my case somehow. It is such a supa case but when you start changing things from stock, problems arise. Will make it work though, not gonna change my case yet again. Sold my CM830 Stacker Evo and gave away my Akasa Eclipse-62, so only have this now. Remember I had the 800D and it was really badly built. Honestly my Akasa was the best case I've owned. Perhaps made a mistake by getting shot of it.

Posted Image

Not too keen on mounting external fans on top of the rad...a bit ghetto. If only it was like 1cm taller. I literally need less than 1cm to install push-pull.

Sent using Tapatalk

Edited by Razer, 21 March 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#120 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

I managed to get the converter bay to fit...after removing one of the tool-less clips and putting the converter bay in the wrong way around. It is kinda hovering just above the guide rails but is now secured by 3 screws. :( Unfortunately my 90 degree SATA plug cannot reach so far so I had to dig out an old SATA cable without elbows.

I also installed the BitFenix LED light strip which is pretty RAD. After testing I opted for sticking it to the top of the case and not the bottom; also I was able to reorder some of the molex power plugs without having to install another modular cable (with modular you really want to keep cables to an absolute minimum).

So far as the 200mm BitFenix front fan goes, just gonna write it off. It looks every bit as flimsy as Corsair's own 200mm fan so I don't see that it's going to be any better. Maybe at some point I can try and Antec BigBoy and see if it fits.

Last thing to do now is pop in the Gentle Typhoon fans. Due to stock outage I had to order the 3000rpm one so wondering how loud it's going to be. Really did want the 1400rpm but it was the higher rpm or nothing.

Edited by Razer, 21 March 2012 - 10:38 PM.