• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#121 RockSpider

RockSpider

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 8167 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

I would imagine that any fan at 3,000 rpm would be quite loud. perhaps time to consider a fan controller of sorts ?
It's good news that you got the converter to fit, bud. Have you checked out the 200mm Coolermaster fans seeing as they are reversible ?

#122 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Sorry Rock, never noticed a reply here. At the last minute the medium speed Gentle Typhoons went out of stock, so I just grabbed what was available. Bloody things are R250 each! :what: I will check out the CM fans at some point because there is literally no other option.

2 Days ago my new RAM kit finally arrived. Only issue is I cannot get it to work at the rated speed without causing constant reboots till the BIOS goes into fail-safe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did some troubleshooting on another forum then realised 2 new BIOS versions had been released for my board, one of the notes saying 'improved memory compatibility'. Yeah, should be running tomorrow. Then to finally test my new Plextor SSD and reinstall Windows 7.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Razer, 18 April 2012 - 11:07 PM.

#123 VirtualForce

VirtualForce

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7235 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

wait what, 32gb mem? sheeesh, you'll be able to run some serious vm's on that hardware, esp with that CPU.

#124 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

What I am keen to do is finally set up a decent size RAM drive. ;) Maybe play Crysis 2 in it? :(

Sent using Tapatalk 2

#125 VirtualForce

VirtualForce

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7235 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

that would be awesome, remember ppl doing it back yay with Quake 3 Arena and being in the level seconds before the rest of us, I used to hate them...so very much. ;)

Benchmarks or it didnt happen! :(

#126 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hows the RAM stability after the BIOS update?

#127 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Arg, been sick man for a week now. So no playing for now. Also had to fight to get my s3 sorted, so chilling after winning that battle. Will battle the RAM tomorrow, hopefully.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

#128 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hope you feel better soon bud

#129 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Wolve, back to normal again.

Tried my luck the long weekend and no go. Did the BIOS update and XMP applied 2133MHz which seemed to take but was unstable the next boot cycle. I am considering either getting a RIVE board or returning the stock, suckering the 10% restocking fee, and getting a plain 1600MHz set. :wacko:

Sent using Tapatalk 2

#130 tifutu

tifutu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

This is awesome Razer! Congrats!
How much did this set you back, if you don't mind my asking?

I am currently looking at building a performance machine from the ground up. Could use the advice. :)

#131 tifutu

tifutu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

This is awesome Razer! Congrats!
How much did this set you back, if you don't mind my asking?

I am currently looking at building a performance machine from the ground up. Could use the advice. :)

LOL. Just realised the OP is quite old, will start a new thread for the advice I am looking for.

#132 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the congrats. I have upgraded since starting the thread so don't worry about the date of the first post. ^_^

Not going to quantify or I will start have regrets. :blink:

Sent using Tapatalk 2

#133 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Thanks Wolve, back to normal again.

Tried my luck the long weekend and no go. Did the BIOS update and XMP applied 2133MHz which seemed to take but was unstable the next boot cycle. I am considering either getting a RIVE board or returning the stock, suckering the 10% restocking fee, and getting a plain 1600MHz set. :wacko:

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Have you tried to set the XMP manually?
You'd need to do that for the R.IV.E if you decide to get that in anycase, so why not try the manual XMP set-up first?

#134 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have...well, it is a bit different on MSI. Will give it one last go because the RIVE costs a packet. >_>

Sent using Tapatalk 2

#135 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

Send MSI & G.Skill and email, I'm sure they'll be able to assist you

#136 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

Some people are quoting QVL which I have never used. If it is to be strictly believed, the RAM only works 100% on three boards...some Asrock Extreme, Asus X79 Deluxe and the Rampage IV Extreme aka. RIVE.

Bah, this is such a lot of bull.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

#137 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

Perhaps you could configure the RAM to run with slightly slower speeds, slightly higher CL's, or with a slightly higher voltage?

#138 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:29 AM

Try some of the below settings...
It's from the `award/review` link from the F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH product page... [ http://www.hardwarel...-mhz-32-gb.html ]

They were achieved on an ASUS P9X79 WS MoBo, also not part of the Qualified Motherboards List, per say [the P9X79 DELUXE is tho, but these are manual settings]...

Let us know how it goes bud...

#139 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thanks, will do.

#140 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Spent 3 hours on Thursday evening trying to hack this thing into working. Thought I got it stable at 1866MHz but then my command prompt blue-screened and my SSD disappeared from the BIOS. So as much as it pains me, it is now running at 1600MHz because my board simply becomes a POS with all 8 RAM slots populated. Really a kak one because the 2133 set was almost twice the price of the 1600 set. Nevertheless, no more down time due to RAM...not used my PC in 2 months because of RAM issues. I needed my PC up and running by the weekend for Diablo III come hell or high water. :angry:

No more upgrades planned because I'm seriously over this long, drawn out build that has been frought with a hundred issues. It must just bloody work now for a long time no matter what game I throw at it or I swear my desktop will be history and be traded for an Alienware notebook.