SyzaDaijo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hey guys,

I've been very annoyed with the programs that hog my internet connection, I wasn't doing anything on my pc and saw that something was downloading, it wasn't my antivirus or browser or important updates. So I want to get an external firewall software that can block internet connections from applications.

Was wondering if anyone would like to suggest a good free firewall software that can block applications accessing the internet.

#2 Ionflux

Ionflux

Honorary Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3081 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

What firewall are you using atm? Personally I think windows 7 firewall is quite effective. I use Avast for my anti-virus. If you are looking for a very secure firewall I'd suggest using Comodo.

#3 SyzaDaijo

SyzaDaijo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

I was using ZoneAlarm long ago but then uninstalled it since I got annoyed from the numerous pop-ups lol.

The windows firewall is effective but it doesn't show you which apps connect to the internet, or does it? :dont-know:

I was reading on the net and they say Comodo is the best. I just hope it works with Avast! Free. I am downloading it now, will install and tell you how it is. Thanks for the advice

#4 RockSpider

RockSpider

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 8167 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Comodo has long been the king of the free firewall programs. However, as Ionflux points out : Win7 firewall is pretty darn good.
How did you even see that something was thrashing about the internet (if you're using Win7) ? It made me so nervous not knowing whether my PC was downloading (or even worse : uploading) stuff I was not aware of that I installed a freebie called Network Indicator which resembles the Win XP network indicator. Now I rest a lot easier !

#5 SyzaDaijo

SyzaDaijo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

Well I installed Comodo and it's great! Although there are reason for not using Windows Defender which I won't say why. :pinch:
Rock, that's exactly what I needed, that Network Indicator is such a relief. Thank you.

#6 Zizzy

Zizzy

PCBG Administrator+

• Moderators
  • 6382 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

+1 for Comodo. Still remember the day I came across them. Brilliant.

Though I am too lazy for a firewall these days, I only use Avira free. Lol. :dazed:

@ Gh0zt, love the sig dude!

#7 SyzaDaijo

SyzaDaijo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Yeah I'm satisfied with Comodo, light and quick and asks for permission of any app wanting to connect to internet or change regitry.
I should just buy Kaspersky Internet Security as I have been with free antiviruses my whole life.

@Zizzy, Thanks man :D if you would like I could make you one but I doubt you want one since I'm pretty sure you like showing off how good you are at BF3 ;)

#8 Zizzy

Zizzy

PCBG Administrator+

• Moderators
  • 6382 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:09 PM

Haha I suck at BF3. Whish I could still show my HoN stats!