Gone Fishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

Hi guys,

As some of you may know I'm building my new rig and I'm looking for a good anti-virus to give it the very best protection. At the moment on my old rig I was using Avira which didn't help me at all even though I update it every week and in my opinion it is a terrible anti-virus program.

This is the anti-virus I have in mind http://www.prophecy....rs-p-83414.html as I have heard it is pretty good. I do know that it is a three way license but Ghozt and myself will be going halvies on it. Is it a good pick to go with Kaspersky Ultimate Protection and is there any other anti-malware/spyware program that I can run in conjunction with my anti-virus as I want to protect my new PC as well as I can as it is quite expensive.

#2 Steel

Steel

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3497 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

There isn't an anti-virus that's completely safe to use so I've gone with Microsoft security esencials that's free to download & update. Support of both 64-bit & 32-bit. It updates quickly & hasn't let me down so far. Kaspersky is a great anti-virus as well but last i checked you need to pay a monthly fee for it.

Avira, AVG & Nod are also rated very well with there free versions as well.

I want to fnd the malwarebytes that's free again as i'm on a trail base version at the moment. :(

#3 Gone Fishing

Gone Fishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the quick reply,

I'll just follow up with prophecy before I buy Kaspersky regarding the monthly fee ( I hope there is none). I'm surprised that Avira has a good rating as I'm using at the moment on my old rig and it has not shielded computer very well. I downloaded Malwarebytes today, so I 'll be installing it later when I get home from the office.

#4 SyzaDaijo

SyzaDaijo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

I have been using free antiviruses for a loooong time and AVG, Avira, MSE and Avast do well but not to well, eventually you get a virus no matter what. However I have never used a premium antivirus and I think it's time we see the difference between the free and premium.

#5 Zizzy

Zizzy

PCBG Administrator+

• Moderators
  • 6381 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

I've used AVG and Comodo AV for quite a while. After something which Wolvebain posted, I moved over to Avira. It's the best free AV out there. It's like in the top 5 of all AV's and it's free. I've been using it ever since. Maybe it didn't work for you, cause you never got any viruses? :P

Anyway, if you would have to pay fr an AV, Nod 32 is great. Otherwise I would stick to Avira, even Comodo AV.

#6 Gone Fishing

Gone Fishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

I have been using free antiviruses for a loooong time and AVG, Avira, MSE and Avast do well but not to well, eventually you get a virus no matter what. However I have never used a premium antivirus and I think it's time we see the difference between the free and premium.

Same here, I just hope there isn't a monthly fee otherwise will have to look for an alternative.

Just downloaded some stuff now for my old rig to prevent any further hassles:

Malwarebytes - To remove malware my anti-virus misses.

ThreatFire - A real-time protection program that warns you of suspicious behavior. (This does not prevent malware/viruses as it offers real-time prevention of virus and malware infections by identifying suspicious behavior as it happens, before the malicious code installs itself) This program was designed to run along with your anti-virus.

I'll just run these in conjuction with my Avira anti-virus to clean up my old rig.

@ Zizzy,

Well I'm going to download the latest version of Avira 2012 and give it another shot with my old rig and see what happens. :)

#7 RockSpider

RockSpider

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 8167 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

All antivirus proggies suffer from the same fate as regards them not being able to catch all the very latest viruses (which appear at the rate of thousands per day).
To this end, one has to apply a lot of self discipline to avoid sites and links on web sites that could spell disaster. It's obviously easier said than done, but I have not had a virus (touch wood) in a loooong time. What makes this more surprising is the fact that being the cheapskate that I am I use only Avast (free version).
If you get viruses quite often, try creating regular (frequent) restore points to do roll backs - often the fastest way to get rid of a nasty piece of coding.

If you want to pay, you could look at Nod32 which Razer has been a fan of for a long time.

#8 Zizzy

Zizzy

PCBG Administrator+

• Moderators
  • 6381 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Aaah, I found it in an older thread (Wolve posted it). Have a look see:

Posted Image
Source

So yeah. I use Avira free. :)

#9 Gone Fishing

Gone Fishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

@ Rockspider,

Thanks I will look into it. I do get viruses from time to time as there are a few people who use my computer on the internet so i think that may be one of the causes to my problem. I think the rolling back may just work out nicely for me.

@ Zizzy,

Wow, ok so maybe Avira is one of the best. I'll give it another shot with my old rig see how it fairs.

#10 Zizzy

Zizzy

PCBG Administrator+

• Moderators
  • 6381 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Yeah I was suprised that a free AV could fare that well. After I saw this image I moved straight over to Avira free. Has been working really well for me to this day. :)

#11 SyzaDaijo

SyzaDaijo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

I used to think AVG was the best until they started advertising on their free AVG program, then I moved to Avast and it detected a few trojans and worms that AVG never did, however before any of that happened, I had an old Avast and removed it to put AVG that detected some worms that Avast didn't.... So I think it's going to be like that all the time since viruses are constantly created

#12 Steel

Steel

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3497 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

He he Zizzy. That sheet rotates so often it's hard to keep track of it. Totally agree with Ghost as I stated too that there isn't a Bullet proof anti-virus. :eat:

What totally irriates me is that Avg & other anti-virus programs want o install themselves in your web browser & spam you with ads. Downloaded the latest Winzip & had AVG in my browser menu. Now running 2 ant-virus programs will crash things... :( :curse:

#13 BloodrayneZA

BloodrayneZA

Warrior Priestess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2172 posts
  • LocationThe Halls of Valhalla

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

I use Avast! Free edition. I used to have ESET NOD32 but it has so many false positives, I gave up using it long ago.

Personally, for me, Avast has been rather useful - it has blocked quite a few malicious links, redirects and stuff like that. I am more than happy to recommend Avast - I ran a virus check on a laptop HDD and it picked up 53 viruses, which wasn't rather surprisingly since the owner had an out-of-date AV and so I had to format and reinstall everything on the notebook HDD and installed Avast on it too. I haven't heard back from the owner - maybe she's happy with it.

#14 SyzaDaijo

SyzaDaijo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yeah same, for now Avast 7 is doing pretty well, in joint effort with comodo, i feel safe however there are always viruses lurking so I shouldn't get to comfortable :rolleyes:

#15 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

NOD32 and false positives? Lul what??? On my 8th year of subscribing. It cannot be beaten. Credit to the legendary RenegadeXpress for introducing me. Must say that on my gaming PC I am using MS Security Essentials right now since a new laptop came into the family and my multi-user license was used up in the process.

#16 Wolvebain

Wolvebain

Consummate Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5821 posts
  • LocationBlackhole Sun

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

My 2cents:

If you're gonna buy an AV, and want the best... get 2 more ppl to join in and get Coranti [3 PC’s / 1 year license € 39.99]... Unfortunately, there is no Linux version

For a free AV, I still prefer AVAST, as I really like the features of the Free Linux version [virus-chest, submission of file for analysis, etc. like the windows version].. I had some issues with Avira's Linux AV in the past. The Mac version is pretty cool too [considering it's for Mac]

From a SOHO /SME perspective, NOD32 is one of the best for it's price... It's remote management allows one to manage even Linux server/desktops and Mac's, along with windows machines. If you're not gonna use this, then you could find a cheaper and equally effective AV elsewhere.

#17 Katswink

Katswink

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2267 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

I use to use the avast free edition but upgraded to the internet security and has been happy since. The more security was for my parents but I decided, to get one also to make it cheaper (better to get 3 licenses rather than just one).

#18 Gone Fishing

Gone Fishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Thanks guys well I'm going to give Avira another go and if im still not happy with it I'll move on check other ones.

Thanks for the help guys :).

#19 warr10r

warr10r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationHowick, KZN

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Right-o. My own suggestions:

Best AV for personal use: Microsoft Security Essentials. Use Malwarebytes Antimalware as backup protection. MSE is a joy to live with, especially if you've spent any amount of time with the pop-up festivals listed at the bottom of my post. Seriously, it sits in the corner and does its thing, using less resources and making less noise than the rest of them.

Beat AV for corporate use (domains): Symantec Endpoint Protection. It kicks all kinds of ass. If I had a domain server at home I'd run this...

NOD32 I'd place 3rd as an anti-virus, but you have to make all kinds of holes through the firewall in order for connectivity to actually, eh, work. (That is, if some programs you use need access to obscure ports.)

DO NOT use Avira or Avast! as they are all kinds of crap (again, my own perspective/experience). I've never had any joy from Bit Defender, Norton Anti-Virus (OMG take over my PC why don't you), AVG (has all kinds of false-positives), Kaspersky, or, eh, Panda...

Best advice: Use what works best for YOU.

#20 OliverRC

OliverRC

PCBG Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5976 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on all my machines. Seems to work well and have had no infections since I switched from a paid version of NOD32.