#1 SyzaDaijo

SyzaDaijo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

So after Zizzy kept on telling me to get uncapped, I decided to plan on doing so, however I need some professional help and advice from this awesome super duper PCBG community members ;)

So I am planning to get a Mweb 1 Mbps Uncapped ADSL line...
I have the following questions that I really need answered :)
  • Do I have to have a telkom home-phone account set up?
  • Can I rent the telkom line without the use of a home phone?
  • Will mweb do all the telkom line renting if I pay directly to mweb?

I have had many problems with telkom in the past, there was once an incident where they overcharged me twice in a row. I then decided to tell them to go screw themselves and that I won't be paying their contract any more, since it was the last 3 months left. They still keep on sending me invoices and all, even threatening to sue me, it's been awhile since I have actually heard from them. However that is why I am concerned with the phone line rental because I think I won't be able to rent a line with the previous history between telkom and I unless I don't need to organize anything with telkom and Mweb does it all for me.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

#2 Zizzy

Zizzy

PCBG Administrator+

• Moderators
  • 6383 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

In reply to your answers:

1. Yes
2. No, well you don't have to plug your phone in if you don't want to.
3. Yes, I think they do. I know I get my adsl line from axxess (as well as uncapped) and I pay everything to them, except my telephone line bill.

#3 Senshi

Senshi

Official PCBG Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

Afrihost > Mweb

http://go.afrihost.com/senshi

I've heard a lot of unhappy people with Mweb, I'm with Afrihost on the 10mb account and I haven't regretted it since I moved!

To answer your questions :

1. Yes you have to have a phone line
2. You can use the adsl part without having a phone plugged in, but Telkom will still charge you the analogue phone line rental
3. Mweb will do the ISP account and the ADSL rental, the phone line rental is still payable to Telkom.

#4 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Web Africa also do an all-in-one solution. Don't Afri also do it now? I only pay Telkom for voice line rental and call charges, all other billing comes from my ISP.

#5 Zizzy

Zizzy

PCBG Administrator+

• Moderators
  • 6383 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

Afrihost has it yes, but their uncapped is shaped.. Which is yucky. How is Web Africas uncapped? Unshaped or shaped..

#6 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

What does rock about Afri is this:

Posted Image

#7 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Afrihost has it yes, but their uncapped is shaped.. Which is yucky. How is Web Africas uncapped? Unshaped or shaped..

To my knowledge all home uncapped is shaped. One needs to upgrade to business uncapped to get unshaped. Other route to go shaped is not uncapped e.g. 25-50GB per month for roughly the same price as uncapped. WA works like this <--.

#8 absent

absent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

Isn't Afrihost about to move over to MTN as their bandwidth provider? Not sure if it's the right time to promote them?

#9 Zizzy

Zizzy

PCBG Administrator+

• Moderators
  • 6383 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Axxess uncapped is unshaped. If you start using cap drastically you get shaped. But if you average at about 2gb a day you stay unshaped.

#10 SyzaDaijo

SyzaDaijo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the help and answers gents :) I am going to look into Axxess Zizzy, but what I am hoping for is if Telkom will let me have a phone line after all the commotion between us :(

#11 Senshi

Senshi

Official PCBG Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

To my knowledge all home uncapped is shaped. One needs to upgrade to business uncapped to get unshaped. Other route to go shaped is not uncapped e.g. 25-50GB per month for roughly the same price as uncapped. WA works like this <--.

Correct : All home uncapped products are shaped.

Axxess uncapped is unshaped. If you start using cap drastically you get shaped. But if you average at about 2gb a day you stay unshaped.

Afrihost owns Axxess, you do know that right? They bought them a while ago.

Isn't Afrihost about to move over to MTN as their bandwidth provider? Not sure if it's the right time to promote them?

Like I said on Mybroadband, you cannot predict the future, Afrihost are taking everybody's best interest to heart, so until they move to MTN and it goes pear shaped, I will continue to promote them. I do 600gb+ a month on my 10mb uncapped line with them. Their service and ADSL performance comes highly rated.

I moved away from Openweb's afterhours unshaped uncapped account for R899 to the Afrihost home 10mb account which is R897 for both line and ISP (that means the account itself works out to like R500+-) which is a bargain. Considering I'm doing 600gb+ a month on my account, it's worth every cent.

Afrihost does not shape, they throttle. I haven't any evidence on shaping on my line whatsoever as long as I stay under the throttle limit I get full speed on everyting, youtube/steam/http etc.

I'd still say consider Afrihost as your ISP of choice. They have a policy that if you aren't completely satisfied in 60 days they'll give you double your money back. That, to me, says A LOT about the company.

#12 Zizzy

Zizzy

PCBG Administrator+

• Moderators
  • 6383 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

Ok well, then it used to be that way with axxess. I was pretty sure it still was, cause the customer service didn't change at all and my pings are like 12.

Thanks for the update.

#13 OliverRC

OliverRC

PCBG Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5976 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:18 AM

Mweb is currently offering the cheaperst 1mb uncapped solution. R199
http://www.mweb.co.z...cappedAdsl.aspx

You'll need to get the line from Telkom. I suggest going Closer plan 2 as you get installation fee for free which is a big bonus as installation is almost R700 now (wtf I know... :excruciating: )
You can cancel the closer plan after the 1st month.

If you wanna go big I am doing 600Gb+ a month like Slick on OpenWeb's 4mb Gold.

#14 Razer

Razer

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationWest Rand

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Seriously I cannot even imagine what you guys download. :ph34r: Do you also buy a new hard drive each and every month??

#15 Katswink

Katswink

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2267 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

That is good too know. This probably will also apply too Afrihost as they have IS as a service provider?

#16 Katswink

Katswink

VIP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2267 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Mweb is currently offering the cheaperst 1mb uncapped solution. R199
http://www.mweb.co.z...cappedAdsl.aspx

You'll need to get the line from Telkom. I suggest going Closer plan 2 as you get installation fee for free which is a big bonus as installation is almost R700 now (wtf I know... :excruciating: )
You can cancel the closer plan after the 1st month.

If you wanna go big I am doing 600Gb+ a month like Slick on OpenWeb's 4mb Gold.

Afrihost is even cheaper if your line is with them.

R297 with data and line

http://www.afrihost....bundles?src=nav

#17 eboo

eboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

I have afrihost as well. They are by far the best ISP I have been with. Their service has always been excellent.

I have not tried Mweb so I cant comment on them. I've heard goof things about them as well though.

#18 RockSpider

RockSpider

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 8167 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Instead of starting a new thread, I decided to piggyback on this one (hope Gh0zt does not mind).
After having Diablo 3 chow through my 20GB cap with Telkomsa, I have decided that it's time to give in and get an uncapped account.
Although I am reasonably happy with Tekom's service over the years, I just do not want to pay their uncapped prices (Do Broadband).
They upgraded me from 3GB @ 512kb/s to 20GB @ 2Mb/s over time (free of charge) and until this month it has been adequate for my needs.

I am now considering MWeb's R199 deal : uncapped @ 1Mb/s as speed is not a particular issue for me. I just want to get away from stressing about cap limits and having to pay excessive prices for extra gigs near month end (about R50 per gigabyte). Unless someone stops me, I will be going the MWeb route as it seems to be a good deal and have quite reliable service. It does mean that I will be losing my e-mail address that I have had for years, but it's not a biggy.

I presume that 1Mb/s will be sufficient for gaming and that MWeb latency is not too high ?

I'll be switching over on Thursday, so any advice before then will be much appreciated.

#19 Zizzy

Zizzy

PCBG Administrator+

• Moderators
  • 6383 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

As per always I will suggest Axxess. :) It's R196, which is R3 cheaper! :D

Also have a look here. You can get your adsl through them and at the end it is cheaper than what you pay to telkom.

But yeah just my 2c. My experience that I had with mweb was not good, guess I was one of the unlucky few.

#20 RockSpider

RockSpider

PCBG Administrator

• Administrators
  • 8167 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

As per always I will suggest Axxess. :) It's R196, which is R3 cheaper! :D

Also have a look here. You can get your adsl through them and at the end it is cheaper than what you pay to telkom.

But yeah just my 2c. My experience that I had with mweb was not good, guess I was one of the unlucky few.

Good suggestion, Zizzy - thanks. Made me consider moving the ADSL line to someone else (Axxess or MWeb) so that I pay rental only for 1Mb/s seeing as I will be signing up for a 1Mb/s account.
I will certainly consider this.